The giant schnauzer breeding program began after Classic Giants was founded in 1992. The program began with the German imported bloodlines of two WSF Championship Team dogs :
- CH Iro v. Sandokan SchH 3 IPO III
- Int CH Atze v. Altenhof SchH 3 IPO III
and a very impressive dog from Czechoslovakia, CH Cheeky Ladior SchH 3 IPO I
All of these working Giant Schnauzers represent the best imported dogs in the United States during the early 1990s. All OFA good, Clear thyroid, V rated in conformation and all champions in conformation.
CH Iro v. Sandokan, SchH 3 IPO III imported and owned by Storm Bergin was multiple SchH 3, tracked often with 100 scores and always V rated in protection.
Int. CH Atze v. Altenhof, SchH 3, IPO III owned by Jim Allen, highest scoring Giant in theUSA, multiple SchH 3, International Champion, V rated in protection.
CH Cheeky Ladior, SchH 3 IPO I owned by Kelly Fink-Pickarts. Imported from Czechoslovakia, multiple SchH3, always V rated in protection, excellent tracking dog.
There are many anecdotes regarding animal breeding. How does one understand what works, how to read a pedigree, who to breed to whom, who is the ultimate judge, is the standard followed for the breed, is the breeder improving the breed with the offspring. All of these statements need to be combined to produce the better animal and be a successful breeder.
My personal experience of breeding Morgan horses and dogs for 40 years has always started with an excellent female line. A line of pedigree with proven generations of qualities one wants to continue in the breeding program. Combined with a male who also has a strong female line with the desired traits produces the best genetic possibilities for the breeder. Classic Giant Schnauzers follows this theory and the dogs are exceptional specimens of the breed, not only in phenotype (what you see – body structure, bone, coat, dark eye, large head, drive, confidence, excellent temperament) but also in genotype (what you don’t see – what the individual will in turn give to their off-spring). This breeding program is creating the highest quality of working Giant Schnauzers available in the United States.
- To produce top quality working dogs with the best European bloodlines available today in the United States. Emphasis on correct structure, sound temperament, health, athletic ability and genetic diversity is important in the our giant schnauzer breeding program.
- All breeding stock is OFA certified good or excellent as well as normal thyroid at breeding, Eyes are CERF clear. Health guarantee on all offspring.
- The Working Reisenschnauzer Federation objectives are the standard for the Classic Giant Schnauzers breeding program.
- The Giant Schnauzer Club of America Code of Ethics is strictly followed.